Monday, March 27, 2017

Aug 2012 – Investment Update

Posted by Tim Stobbs on September 11, 2013

The following is an update of Tim’s plan to retire early.  Please note the house is paid off, so net worth is no longer tracked.

To track my progress I’ve decided to track both my expenses and my investment gains.  So once the investments gains are consistently beating my expenses I’m financially independent and can stop working.  I think my ideal tracking of this would be one full year of investment and spending data, but I don’t have that yet.  So for now I’ll do a trailing six 12 month average on spending (but excluding vacations) and investments for the calendar year to date.

Investments

Account (Contribution), [+/- Gain or Loss less contributions]

RRSP $34,230 ($200), [-$50]
LIRA $12,640 ($0), [-$20]
TFSA $29,190 ($3500), [-$910]
Pension $76,290 ($1050), [-$120]
Wife’s RRSP $39,150($0), [-$50]
Wife’s Investment Account $85 ($0), [$0]
Wife’s TFSA $28,140 ($0), [+$280]
My Investment Account $70 ($0), [$0]
High Interest Savings Account $700 (+$600),[$0]

Investment Net Worth $220,495 ($5150 ), [-$667 or -0.3%]

(YTD Contribution: $25,698), [YTD Gain: $12,096 or +6.62%], YTD Avg Monthly Gain $1512

Spending Averages

Last Month $2283 (doesn’t include vacation spending)

Trailing Last 12 Months (less mortgage payments) $3122

Results

Number of months spending covered by investment gains: 0.48 {Target 1.0 or higher}

Commentary:

Everyone once in a while I feel like I’m making no progress on these updates.  I didn’t help my wife close her trading account last month or mine after we got back from vacation.  I didn’t make any gains on our investments, but I contributed a lot of money.

Then I looked at my investment net worth at this time last year.  I’ve increased that by over $50,000 in gains and contributions.  Apparently I need to step back once in a while to admire the forest I’m growing here and stop worrying so much about a specific tree.

Any questions?

(click for a bigger version)

Investments Aug 2013

Comments

5 Responses to “Aug 2012 – Investment Update”
  1. lester says:

Interesting blog.
    It would be interesting to see a breakdown of monthly expenses on what you need to live on in Calgary. I assume no kids are in the equation.
    Congrats on the aggressive savings rate and investments, you should be proud of your achievement.

2. Tim Stobbs says:

@lester – Actually I’m in Regina…Robert our other writer is in Calgary. Confusing…I know. ;) I also have two kids (age 8 and five). Thanks for your encouragement!

3. Tara says:

I haven’t been keeping track of these since you first started posting – what is your final retirement dollar amount goal and what age are you shooting for retirement? I am aiming for retirement at 50 with $600K, just curious what your target is.

4. Tim Stobbs says:

@Tara – Don’t worry if you can’t recall an exact number, because there really isn’t a firm finish line. I have a range in mind from $550K to $650K by age 42. I keep changing my mind on the idea of doing some part time work so I’m waiting to see how exactly sick of my job at $550K. If I’m still enjoying work a fair bit, I’ll hang on another year and bit to cross the $650K mark.

5. Tara says:

Thanks for your reply – I am considering whether I want to do any part time work as well after I quit my full-time day job. I think I might just quit and see how things go, then if I find I am bored and something interesting presents itself, I will do a bit of work, either a few days a week, or seasonal. My partner is interested in being a snowbird, so that may lean more towards the seasonal rather than P/T, but we’ll see!