Posted by Tim Stobbs on March 20, 2013
At the end of my last post I let you know I decided to blow the majority of my budget for my study on new bookshelves with glass doors. So how do you finish a room with next to no money? Well to start with I accepted I would be spending a bit more than my initial budget of $500, but I would try to keep it as close to that as possible.
While I was still missing a second reading chair and a footstool, I decided I wanted to get some antique furniture if possible. So I went on a local used website and started doing some clicking. Within no time I had found a few options.
One was a nice footstool with with stained fabric on it. The guy was asking $75 and I low balled him at $40. He took it! Ya, one item down. Here is a picture of what I bought.
Ugly…oh yes, but it held some potential. So a bit of hard work of pulling out all the old staples (and realizing this footstool had been refinished at least twice before), I put on some leftover fabric I already owned and bought some cording to finish it off ($8).
Next up was my search for a reading chair. Again I wanted something with classic lines and it had to be affordable.
I love shopping for used stuff, because this item then fell into my lap for a mere $40. Yet, I realized that I likely couldn’t afford a nice side table at this time. So I took a old cube footstool that was around and recovered it in the same fabric as the footstool. Cost $0, other than some of my time.
Next up was the problem of the space was far too open at the one end. I had no separation of space between the study and the rest of the basement. To solve the issue in a hurry and for a low price I bought two sets of ‘blackout’ drapes from Jysk for $38 (on sale of course) and reused an old curtain rod I had. While in a basement, I don’t really need light blocking draps, but they are a heavier weight fabric which is good for reducing sound carry over and helping to retain the heat used to warm up the study.
The only remaining problem I really had for the room was the fact I needed a focal point. This issue was solved in a rather odd way as I got a Christmas present that I couldn’t use and while in the store to return it I came across what I thought was a lovely piece of framed art. So for just $11 out of my own pocket, I have a focal point.
Next time I’ll do the reveal of my study, the final costs and talk about how I use the space.