Friday, March 31, 2017

Net Worth – June 2011

Posted by Tim Stobbs on June 30, 2011

Long term readers might remember that my June updates typically suck.  This one isn’t much different.

Assets

High Interest Savings Account $1,400

Debt
Mortgage $58,900
HELOC $0

Net Worth $424,600 (+$3,700 or +0.9%) [+ 10.7% YTD ]
Investment Net Worth $134,500 (-$5400 or -3.8%) [+ 6.0% YTD]
Mortgage is down by $24,600 or 63% of my goal for 2011.

June typically isn’t a good month for a net worth update since I have several large bills due around this time.  As such I usually see about $5000 leave savings to cover off property tax and house insurance.  I could balance off the savings during the year with a balance owing, but that seems like over kill for one crappy update a year.  Also the hit to the equity markets nicely reduced my investment net worth even further.

The good news in all of this mess of numbers is the mortgage keeps dropping nicely.  Actually I checked as of today I could stop lump sum payments and my mortgage would still be paid off by the end of my current term in spring 2014.  So at least there is some good news in all of this.

Oh, one last thing.  Someone had previously asked how can I do these updates without my files being up to date in a previous post.  The answer is I don’t use my files at all for these values, I pull all of them directly from each website so the values are as up to date as I can get them.

Any questions?

Comments

6 Responses to “Net Worth – June 2011”
  1. Holistic Investor says:

Hmmm.., I don’t know your age, although this asset volume is definitely adorable, I doubt if you are able to complete the race by age of 45.

Holistic Investor,

I’m a little confused by your comment, if you don’t know my age…how can you assume I’m going to fail? Since time to save is one of the big variables involved.

3. Robert says:

You wrote a book “FREE at 45: How to retire early and happy.”

I can only assume that since you are teaching people about how to do something, that you must have done it yourself first. Otherwise its somewhat fraudulent.

Kind of like how to buy real estate from someone who has never bought real estate himself.

So you must be 50.

Robert – I think your under the mistaken impression that you have to do something in order to write about it. Which is often not the fact, I doubt many newspaper reporters do a murder before reporting on one, also some magazine writers again don’t always have a background in the topic and in fact with books a lot of writers just pick a topic they are interested in and research it to death. It’s not fraudulent at all and in fact happens all the time. I wrote the book because I saw a need that wasn’t being covered in Canadian focused books on retirement and happiness so I filled the void. If you don’t like it, then don’t buy it. No problem for me.

5. Robert says:

So you would build a bridge after having read a book about it written by a none-engineer who never built a bridge himself?

And you would put value on that and think it fills a need? Unbelievable.

As for the existence of a need, come on. I don’t mean to give you a hard time. You have a nice blog and a book gives you credibility to someone who knows nothing of the topic at hand. But there is hardly a need for something where 100’s of books already exist. If anything, this topic has been written to death about. Check your local library.

But I like your blog. Cheers!

6. Shaun Somers says:

I find the numbers encouraging.

While you are ahead of me in investing net worth, it’s not by nearly as much as I thought it would be given that you want to retire by 45 (of course, I’m not sure of your age either but my guess is slightly older than me).

I’m not yet sure I want to retire at 45, but of course having the option would be nice.

Thanks for the candid update!