With summer time here I’m spending a lot more time outdoors with my kids, so I thought I would share some of our favourite afternoons of fun which don’t have to cost a lot.
- The Park – My kids are currently obsessed with going to the local school play structure so we have been going at least a few times a week. We often just walk over take a drink and snack and spend a hour or two playing games like tag or how far can you go and not touch the ground. Cost $0. Cheap Add On: Slurpee run – walk to your local 7-11 or other store and pick up a treat/drink on the way home for $5 to $10.
- The Library – This is a weekly event in our house. Often I drive over since we often do this with other errands, but sometimes we walk as well. Beyond picking up our holds we also pick out a few movies for the kids, read a few books, take out a few books, play with the toys at the library and then play at the park located outside. Then come home and immediately put a movie in for the kids to watch. Cost $0. Cheap Add On: Pick up some ice cream from the grocery store $3 to $5 or 40 Timbits for $5.
- Water Fun – Now this one can be done in several grades depending on the effort/money you want to put into it. Option a) Running around in the sprinkler at home. Who knew watering the lawn can actually be fun? Cost $0. Option b) Hit up the local spray park and run around. Cost $0. Option c) Hit up the local outdoor/indoor pool. Cost $11 (at least around here).
- Museums/Galleries/Science Centers – Playing tourist in your own backyard can be fun and my kids love to see new things, so this makes for a great afternoon event for us. Cost Free to $30 depending on which one you go see.
- The Lake – Find a friend/family member with a cabin and get a invite out for the afternoon or the weekend. Be sure to ask to see if they need anything and be prepared to help out with chores. We do this fairly often over the summer as my parents literally live at the lake for the summer so if we want to get a visit in we often need to go see them. Cost $40 to $100 or more (depends on gas, what you bring out: food & drinks, etc).
So what do you do for fun over the summer? If you have an idea please share.