Thursday, March 23, 2017

Crossing Over

Posted by Tim Stobbs on March 31, 2010

Ok, I normally only do net worth updates every second month, but this month is an exception.  I ran the numbers to confirm not my net worth, but rather what my investment net worth .  So in total my investment net worth is $108,300 which is now more than my mortgage balance $107,900.  So as you can see below I hit a cross over point of the yellow and blue lines (click image to see a larger version).

canadian_dreams_net_worth_mar_10

This cross over isn’t nearly exciting of a cross over as being financially independent, but it is exciting to me regardless.  Since it represents my mortgage is on such a decline I could sell every investment I own and nearly pay it off (I would be short the tax penalty from taking out of my RRSP’s).  I don’t plan on doing that, but it is merely an option.

In some regards this is meaningless number with just two lines crossing over on a graph.  Yet I’ve gave it meaning in order to keep me motivated on this path.  I’ve always found I do better with longer term goals is I have little steps on the way there.

So as I go into this long weekend I intend to celebrate a bit on making it to this point.  I’ve got a long way to go, but at least I’m getting there.  (By the way, no posts on Friday or next Monday I’m taking the weekend off.)

Comments

8 Responses to “Crossing Over”
  1. Thanks for sharing–I’m always curious about how other people work on their savings.

Have a nice weekend.

2. Robert says:

Congratulations! I passed that mark a few months ago and it does have a positive impact in my mind … just knowing that barring total collapse and disaster, you can own your home outright.

Its a nice feeling after years of joking ‘the bank owns the house’ … now I do.

3. John the Contractor says:

Maybe it’s just my computer but the axis labeled ‘date’ doesn’t actually have a time frame on it is it years, months, weeks? Just wondering

4. Future Money-Bags says:

Good Job!
    This subsequently means your NetWorth has passed the value of your property too! (duh) :)

Robert,

Good point, I do own more of the house than the bank now. *grin*

John,

Sorry for the lack of dates. It’s about the end of 2007 until the end of March, 2010.

Future Money-Bags,

Yep, that is one of the side effects, you end up with double cross overs.

6. The Rat says:

Congrats! This is surely a milestone in my opinion. I think you deserve a pat on the back. Even though you won’t sell your house, in today’s dollars and market conditions, you basically own your home.

Cheers!

7. Rob says:

Intersting chart, and great progress.
    What would it look like if you put your future debt on there as well? You know, all the future cars you will buy. Home improvements, upgrades and maintainence. Kids eductaion, weddings. Vacations. Other dreams. That will add up from 6 to 9 times your current debt.

Good application though.