Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Green Spot: Paperless

Posted by Tim Stobbs on October 23, 2009

Over the years I’ve opted into several statements being paperless.  Instead I view them online and print out a copy if required.  Obviously this has some environmental benefits such as less resources use, but the reality is going paperless was purely motivated by other reasons.  So here are some of my reasons to go paperless that have nothing to do with the environment:

1. Less Filing: If you don’t get the paper in the first place you don’t have to file it.  This for me is the best reason.  I hate filing paper copies.  Also these paperless services often file them for you online so you can view a history (length of records tends to vary from place to place).
  2. Less Getting the Mail: The more paperless you go the less often you really need to go check your mailbox for that latest bill.
  3. Less worry: If you combined paperless with auto bill payments you really don’t even think about your bills all that much.
  4. Email Reminders: My bank automatically sends me a notice when my statement is ready to view online.  So I never have to wonder: where is my bill or statement from them?

So if you have gone paperless, why did you do it?  If not, why do you keep getting a paper copy?

Comments

6 Responses to “Green Spot: Paperless”
  1. Astin says:

Easy answer on why I didn’t – historical records. My bank often claims that their paperless statements are always available. Except once it’s past 6 months, you can’t find your statements online anymore. Credit card? No more than 60 days online.

So if I need to go back and check something, or discover a discrepancy in monthly billing and want see how far back it goes, the online statements become a problem.

2. Traciatim says:

I’ve gone paperless, signed up for ioptout.ca, joined the reddot campaign (though I haven’t put my sticker up), signed up for the do not call registry etc.

Mail, flyers, junk, and sales calls are all just annoying in my book.

Astin: Download your transactions once a month to a csv . . . always accessible

3. Jason says:

Working on going paper less here, but not relying on anyone to maintain them for me.

Stuff I need to keep gets scanned. Things are that digital only have a copy saved. Since many of these docs relate to tax, I do remote (secure) backups should my laptop and my desktop be destroyed at the same time.

My main reason is organizational, less filing. Sure I have to file them into folders on computers, but I try to give the filename enough context that I should be able to find it later as long as its somewhere under my documents folder.

4. Dave says:

I haven’t had a papered bank statement in over 10 years.

All of my bills that I can get are paperless(some companies don’t offer no bills sent for some reason.

I do it because I rarely look at bills. My credit card statements are useless because I pay off 100% of the balance biweekly, and generally utility bills are the same month over month.

Traciatim,

That is a great idea. Download and save a digital copy of the data.

Dave,

WOW! I’m impressed. I’ve been no where that good at going paperless.

6. I can’t stand paper.

I get all my bills in e-bill format, and if they aren’t in PDF format, I just convert them for free with CutePDF in MS Word.

I also scanned 20 lbs of paper that don’t require hard copies into my digital hard drives, and back them up on a 16GB key with a password

I hate looking at bills, and I have them all properly named so it’s easier to find.

I kind of detail it out here: Going Paperless