Alright today we start an experiment in the direction of this blog. I’m going to be taking Friday’s to do a post with a bit more of an environmental theme to it: The Green Spot. First to put your minds at ease I’m going to point our a few ground rules.
- I don’t want you to feel guilty. This isn’t going to be a guilt trip on anything so relax.
- I will expect you to think. I might challenge some of your assumptions about how you live and I’m not attacking anyone, but I’m trying to make you consider your actions in a new light.
- Reading these posts you might feel all sorts of emotions: outrage, embarrassed, joy, or relief. Please don’t assume I’m trying to make you feel that.
- Please challenge me on anything, but have some proof before you start. I hate getting into pointless arguments with people who can’t provide one piece of evidence to support one thing they heard once from that one guy. You know don’t you? Likely not, so do some searches and post a link.
- Have fun and have a sense of humour about things. Just cause the world is ending doesn’t mean you can’t laugh about some of the stupid things people do or say.
Okay? Good. Now let’s get started.
First off what is the problem? In a nut shell: everything. Climate change, acid rain, ozone layer hole, water pollution, smog, habitat destruction of millions of species…the list just goes on and on. My god no wonder we don’t do anything about it. With lists like that where the hell are you suppose to start?!?
Well hopefully I can simply the issues. Basically we are killing ourselves and taking out a hell of lot of other life while we do it. Yes it is that simple. We are making our very home into a disaster area. A way to look at this is would you shit in your own bed? Of course not that is gross and just plain wrong, but every day everyone of us is shitting in our collective bed called Earth. Why? Are we sick, do we not know any better?
In both cases no. We are not sick, we don’t need to ‘heal’ ourselves or the planet and we do know what we are doing is wrong. So why do we keep doing it? Habit. We’ve collectively grown up living a unsustainable lifestyle fueled by non renewable resources with an ever increasing population. Of course our civilization is a train wreck waiting to happen. You can’t stress out every natural system on the planet forever and not expect one or more of them to break one day. When it does this world isn’t going to be a nice place to live anymore and worrying about the economy is going to look down right amusing in hindsight.
So what are we suppose to do? Here is where people usually start into the guilt trip and present a list of ‘ten simple things to save the planet’. Well here is some relief: I don’t like simple lists. Why? They don’t work. It’s like putting sticks into a river to change the flow. It won’t work they just get washed away. The problem lies deeper than that.
We have to change how we all fundamental think about how we live. Everything we do must shift and you can’t make that happen with a carbon tax or a tax credit on bus passes. They are just more sticks in the river. We have to collectively look at the way we think until one day something will change in you will get up and look down and realize “Oh my god! I’ve been shitting in my bed!” Then you are ready to really do something.
Next week we start looking at our collect heads on how we think and why knowing what to do is so damn hard.