After discussing this with my wife I’ve decided to embark on an interesting challenge for us. I want to decorate and prepare the baby’s new room with a total budget of $0. So I can only reuse items from our first child or beg, borrow or steal items to complete the room. The only sort of exception to this is I can use our credit card points to get gift cards to buy some paint.
So why am I doing this? I think people spend too much money on their kids before they are born. This time we are limiting ourselves to using what we have or what we can obtain without any money. It’s the ultimate expression of frugal thinking in my mind.
Looking around the house last night I figure we am already most of the way there. Here’s what I know I have:
- Cradle – Borrow the family one from my brother
- Crib – Reuse our existing one
- Change mat – Get our first toilet trained so we can steal his (he will be three by the time his sibling arrives)
- Rocking chair – Use our existing one.
- Paint and related supplies – Reuse what I have in the house already and buy the rest with gift cards
- Drapes – Use an existing set from storage.
- Bedding and blankets – Reuse from the first kid’s bedding and if it is a girl ask for bedding as a gift from one of the grandparents
- Dresser – Borrow one from my parents which is just sitting in storage
- Clothes – Reuse the gender neutral clothing from our first kid and if it is a girl beg, borrow and request gifts to get the initial amount
So far the only problem item I’ve thought of is how to bath the kid. We don’t own a little tub. So far my plan for that is to just use an existing towel in the bottom of the tub, unless we can get something from someone else.
So what do you think? Can I make it or am I missing something? Any ideas from parents who had more than one kid would be most appreciated.