Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Bad at Being an Adult

Posted by Dave on May 13, 2014

Dave is also looking to retire no later than 45, but unlike Tim has no kids and doesn’t want any. Dave is from Ontario and is working towards his CGA certification.

My wife and I spent the past weekend at her parent’s house, having a barbecue and playing with her nephews to celebrate her dad’s birthday along with Mother’s Day. This trip was exceptionally fun because my nephews have these cool outdoor toys that turned them into beach balls – a perfect gift for an uncle who likes to throw little kids around for a few hours.

We left my in-laws place early Sunday morning, with the intention of going home and getting a bunch of housework done with the rest of our Sunday. When we got home before noon, we took a look outside at the nice sunny and warm weather and went for a huge walk to a bar to sit on a patio for the afternoon (allowing me to take advantage of $4 Ceasar Sunday deals). The downside of our afternoon plan is that, yet again, we have gotten nothing done around the house – hence the title of the post – my wife and I are bad adults.

The good thing about our situation is, that we both realize we aren’t entirely responsible people. We don’t have and never want kids, we live in a condominium so we don’t have anything to look after at home. We don’t even have a pet because we don’t think it would be fair to leave them alone as much as we are away (even though there has been much lobbying by 50% our household to get either a very large cat or a small dog).

The only real adult thing that my wife and I have going for us is a decent financial plan. Other than our finances, our lifestyle remains closer to someone in their early twenties rather than someone in their mid-thirties, but that’s just how we like to live.

Our decent financial plan goes from almost idiot-proof (paying off our mortgage debt as quickly as possible) to a much more involved and grown-up plan of investing consistently and making constant decisions. Our next few years of financial planning will be very interesting for us, especially since our end goal is to achieve significant wealth. I know that I’m both excited and a little concerned that I have to pay attention to at least something in my life, even though it won’t make me any more of an adult.

Comments

7 Responses to “Bad at Being an Adult”
  1. jon_snow says:

Dave, apart from us being a bit older than you and your wife and closer to our ER date, our lives are remarkably similar to yours – we are also “bad adults” and frickin’ loving it.

2. Billie says:

You are no different than most adults. You have the things and people you enjoy, and don’t seem to have many outside interests. You have developed a life that centres around your self comfort and desires, and from reading your posts, do not go out of your way to help others.

You are already living your version of the Canadian Dream. Life happens now, not in the future.

3. Isabelle says:

There are many kinds of ‘adults’. Don’t compare yourself to the regular definition. I think you’re doing awesome! You know what you want and you’re going for it without hurting anyone, I’d say that’s pretty adult to me!

4. Paul N says:

There is nothing “bad” about the way you live. People do label us in various ways, but pay no mind to that. Is there really some kind of “standard life benchmark” that we all compare ourselves too? It’s like we feel guilty in some way for no reason.

5. Jacq says:

Personally, I like the “INTERNET FOREVER!!” meme from Hyperbole and a Half for non-adulthood. And yes, even us adults with many responsibilities still have many of those particular moments/days/weekends.

6. Geoff says:

I don’t get your posting either. You aren’t living at home, you work, you are accountable for your behavior, you are paying your mortgage, and you have a financial plan and can meet your obligations.

That is being an adult.