Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Loving The Job

Posted by Tim Stobbs on July 20, 2011

The purpose of early retirement is of course to have the option not to work.  The key word in that sentence was ‘option‘.  You can work if you happen to actually love what you are doing.  While I know I’m still in the honeymoon phase of my new day job I recently had an odd experience just prior to my current vacation which makes me think I might even consider keeping working longer than I have to if I can do something similar.

So what happened?  I left work and I wasn’t desperate to start my vacation.  I was looking forward to going on my trip, but at the same time I wasn’t trying to escape work.  I mean I left the work, because I had finished what I needed to get done, not because I was trying to get out of the door.  That is literally the first time that has ever happened to me during one of my day jobs.  Normally I’m crawling up the walls trying to start my vacation, but this time I didn’t have that feeling at all.

It was a different feeling for sure and I certainly hope it continues.  While I come home a little tried from my job at times I actually like going to work again.  Which is a huge leap forward from my old day job and I actually find myself in that odd spot of liking everything I currently do for work. It’s a little surreal to be this happy most the time…actually I have to check my arm periodically to ensure I’m not being injected with something to keep up this feeling.

Yet this experience to date is teaching me something.  I have to stop settling for my day jobs.  I’m far enough along in my plan I can handle a period of unemployment if it happens, but I should start being a little bit more picky on what I want to do and what it pays.  Also I have to be more willing to move on if things go sour on a job.  Often some items are short term and you deal with them, but if they change into longer term issues I should be more willing to move on.  Life is just too short to be unhappy at my job when I have other options.

So that is my plan going forward…I’m going to be a bit more picky about my day jobs because frankly I can be at this point in my life.  Damn, that is a good feeling to have.

Did you ever get picky about what work you did in your career? Or was that a luxury you never worried about having?

Comments

7 Responses to “Loving The Job”
  1. firemedic136 says:

Hey, I stumbled onto this blog from milliondollarjourney.
    I like it. As to the post, I left a career type job to do a similar job closer to my family. In a seniority based system, this means that I will never make the top rank. However, my family has never more content. It’s all about net family happiness. I can’t imagine working a job I hate. Then again, 90% of people probably do hate their jobs:) You only get one life, so why waste it on something you don’t like doing? You’ve come to a good realization; it’s all about control. If you’re happy, you’re probably in control. Wether you quit, or retire it’s most important to retain control of your decision making.

2. Kaye says:

The closer I came to financial independence/retirement, the choosier I felt I could become about my working hours and conditions.

Tim, how have you “settled” for a job when you changed jobs to get there and you are enjoying this one? Seems to me you’ve taken care of yourself in a positive way and the results are surprisingly good.

3. Mike Holman says:

I haven’t been picky with my jobs, although I have to admit that my current job is pretty good, so I don’t have much motivation to find something else.

My mortgage will be done next year and that will certainly help with job “flexibility” if need be.

4. Janett Brown says:

I am glad that I work online. I don’t have a boss who tells me what I have to do and what I have not. And I really like what I am doing. And I can make a lot of money. But, you need to be very organized. Thank you so much for this post. I really liked it.

5. Investoid says:

I started my own consulting firm 3 and half years ago at 26 which has given me the flexibility to look for interesting or challenging work while taking time off if/when I want to. I’ve been fortunate enough to improve my standard of living while increasing my savings to pay off my house earlier, let my wife and I take more time off when our children are young, and increase our savings for extended mini-retirements throughout our life.

Personally I doubt I will ever fully ‘retire’, there are too many opportunities and interesting problems in the world to work on that will keep my mind, body and soul active as I age. However, I will continue to be more selective in which clients I take on over time and look for opportunities that give me even greater flexibility in my day-to-day schedule.

6. Awesome post.

I am extremely picky now – because I can. And yes, it is a damn good feeling to have because you know you’ve worked for it.

I can definitely say that I went through several years that were really tough & grinding it out in order to get to the point where I knew I could leave the workforce on my own terms.

The day I had my mortgage paid off, it really hit home and my mind was finally telling me I was in much more control of my fate with a guaranteed, permanent roof over my head.

I left the workforce in 2010 but got bored in fairly short order. Knowing that I had, as you say, the ‘option’ not to work, I was able to think and see much clearer.

I am now working for around 30k annually, and I love the job. It’s more of a seasonal position but I get paid year round and the winter months are more like ‘half-days’. It’s much busier during the summer months sot it balances itself out, but it’s a fun job and I enjoy the work environment.

@Investoid: I think I’m in your camp in that I’ll always want to be doing something to keep myself active and take advantage of the opportunities that are out there.