Tuesday, March 28, 2017

The First Meet Up

Posted by Tim Stobbs on May 13, 2011

So a bit of big news here at Canadian Dream.  Despite working with Robert and Dave for a while now, I have never actually met either one in person.  Ah the joys of the internet.  Well Robert recently had a great idea to have a meet up in Calgary to correct this fact at least for him and I (I’m not expecting Dave to fly out for this).

Since a party is better with more people we have decided to expand the party to anyone who is looking to meet up and talk to a bunch of like minded people who are interested in early retirement.  While we are still working out the details of exactly where to host this, we are thinking of keeping it simple as a BBQ in a park.  There will be some food and beverages (free of charge). We will do this on Saturday July 23 at noon until…when ever we get sick of talking to each other.

So in order to have an idea of the number of people who will be there…and the food required… please either leave a comment on this post with a valid email address so we can follow up with details or you can send an email directly to Robert who is planning the event: robert[at]hurdman.ca.

Oh, yes.  Families are welcome to come.  Just give us the idea of the number of people attending and the ages of any kids.  My wife has expressed an interest in coming provided there are some other spouses around to talk some non-money topics.  So if your spouse wants to talk to a someone who is familiar with living with a money geek and how to survive, please let them know they are welcome to come.

We will post more details of things as we work them out.  Have  a great weekend!

Comments

8 Responses to “The First Meet Up”
  1. Steve says:

I wish I could attend. This sounds so interesting. Hopefully you will blog about some of the conversations and ideas you all come up with.

2. Jacq says:

I’ll be out of town / out of country – otherwise I’d come. Have fun!

@Steve,

Sure, we can post of summary of discussion if you like or it might just end up feeding a lot of post ideas.

4. Retired Syd says:

So close, and yet so far. I’ll actually be in Canada then, but all the way in Montreal, which looks to be a bit too far . . .

5. Robert says:

Of course, Dave would be more than welcome to come, if he’s willing to make the trip, since I’d be happy to meet him in person.

I’ve heard that Alex will be here with his family, and he’s about two years from retiring (he’s around 40). That makes at least three of us who are on track to retire before 45 and who are willing to share our stories.

6. jon_snow says:

I have to admit it would be nice to hang out with folks who, having been told of my plan to retire in my mid 40’s, wouldn’t look at me as though I had lobsters crawling out of my ears. :)

Calgary is a bit too far from me here in New York. But it sounds like a great time of year to visit Canada.

8. Very cool idea. Hope you have a good turn out. I won’t be in the area.

I have made some great relationships with some bloggers but have never met in person. Guess I need to correct that.