Saturday, March 25, 2017

Celebrate Your Success

Posted by Tim Stobbs on April 8, 2011

Success is a wonderful thing.  It is great to accomplish your goals and move forward to the next challenge.  At the same time I think I’m just as guilty as everyone else of not remembering to take the time to actually celebrate what I accomplish a lot of the time.  I’m so busy moving along to the next item that I don’t acknowledge what I’ve done.

For example, I recently published my book Free at 45, but failed to acknowledge the fact that was one of my goals for the year.  I got so busy mailing out review copies, pre-orders and following up on sales leads that I complete forgot to take the time to go say to myself: Ya!

Another success I didn’t even realize until recently was the fact I’ve paid off over half my original mortgage on this house.  That is over $75,000 in debt paid off.  That is a fairly big deal, but I again didn’t celebrate in any way at all.

So what gives?  Why don’t we celebrate our success more often?  To some degree I believe that is driven by my frugal nature, I don’t want to celebrate every little thing otherwise it will become a meaningless gesture.  At the same time I don’t think avoiding all celebrations is healthy either since you can get discouraged and sucked down into worrying about the next thing so much that you don’t stop and enjoy life.

In the end, I’m breaking open a special bottle of wine this weekend and celebrating my recent successes.  So what success have you accomplished lately?  Did you remember to celebrate it?

Comments

10 Responses to “Celebrate Your Success”
  1. Congratulations on the success of your first book. I too hope to accomplish my first success with a new iPhone app for Dividend Investors called iDrip. Should be in the App store by months end and help others retire early as well!

2. Perfect Dad says:

I don’t know why you don’t celeberate :) When I make a kick-ass stock trade I jump up and down and pump my arms!

3. The Other Dave says:

We will sometimes celebrate our successes with minor splurges, nice dinner out… vacation… buy something nice… to reward ourselves for the hard work. kind of like you buying the Tiffany table lamp that you were wanting to buy for a long time but couldn’t quite justify the cost. :)

4. Juliana says:

Good for you! On a much smaller scale, we will be celebrating paying off my car in 3 more months. We’re planning on getting a yummy dessert and some sparkling grape juice (so the kids can join the celebration too).

5. Ross says:

My wife and I finally paid off the last of our student debt a few months ago. Felt great to have that balance at $0 and we had a great celebratory dinner.

6. Juliana says:

…Hoping the celebration will also be a good teaching moment for the kids. “Borrow as little as you can, and pay it off as quickly as you can.”

7. Dan says:

Absolutely agree with this post. Too many times we worry about how we can improve, and not enough on what we already do that is amazing. Remember, part of improving yourself means to recognize progress and success as you achieve it!

For myself, I just did a great renovation on my house that is almost complete. That, and I’ve got a great plan to re-do my rooftop patio this year that I look forward to putting into action. I know I’ll be successful with it – wish me luck.

8. Mr Orange says:

We recently celebrated getting down to the double digits on our mortgage…just a dinner out, but it’s good to take the time to recognize the hard work it took to get there!

Feels like we’re into the home stretch now! (Wish I could say that was only half of our original mortgage amount :) ).

Congratulations on the book!

9. Nigel says:

I am 44 years old. Have worked hard all my life , mak ing sacrifices and concessions in order to achieve what I thought was financial success . The hard work has finally paid off
    with great investment results , great business ventures and great friends, family and wife. Am now able to work 8-10 days a month , take my kids to school, pick them up, make dinners and putter in my yard. Have recently been cleared of a cancer scare. We are truly blessed. I have never celebrated these successes , but I will , today.Thanks for the reminder. Congrats on everyones successes , whether big or small

10. Tara C says:

I paid off my last credit card debt last month – celebrated with a bottle of champagne!