Friday, March 31, 2017

Wander Reading #32

Posted by Tim Stobbs on February 18, 2011

&%*^$#@! book! Well much to regret I will have to push off the book launch of Free at 45, until March 28, 2011 (yes a full month delay).  Why?  It’s a long story but in summary I just won’t be fully ready by the end of this month, and I can see some other issues on the horizon so to account for other potential delays I’m pushing it back.   Yet as a reader of this blog I will be giving you all an option to get the book first, so keep reading and I will have instructions on get a pre-publication copy in March.  Now onto the links.

The Task Force on Financial Literacy finished up its work and provided a very typical government study that suggests some vague goals on why we all seem to be clueless on money.  Rob Carrick meanwhile suggested in this article if you made our financial costs a little bit more transparent we might actually care about them.  Which I agree with, I also think the Task Force reports lacks some focus on two major issues: 1) the education curriculum is already too big, so adding to it won’t help anyone and 2) they don’t address that well just how key motivation is to learning something.  If you don’t care about it, you won’t learn about it.

Meanwhile over at Walletpop.ca apparently Canadians are also energy illiterate, which I know from experience is true.  I didn’t even really get how the power grid works until I started working for a company that runs one.  Now don’t you feel smart today with all the things we are suppose to know? *grin*

Over at Moneyville.ca Krystal included me on her list of favorite bloggers.  Actually looking at the list I feel humble to be in such good company.  So thanks for including me!

A very honest article from JD Roth over at Get Rich Slowly on Confessions of a Spendaholic.  Since I actually know a few recovering alcoholics the similarities are striking.

Read about how The Financial Blogger turned down $250K/year and why he did it (which I do get).

Also of interest was this article over as Squawkfox on breaking up with the cable company.  Mmm, I am getting ideas, but I think my wife will say ‘No’.

Oh, and if you want to do your taxes for free go enter this contest over at Million Dollar Journey.

Comments

8 Responses to “Wander Reading #32”
  1. Dan Brown says:

Congrats on the book (even if it is pushed off by a month). Do you have a publisher or are you self-publishing?

2. Robert says:

“Two major issues: 1) the education curriculum is already too big, so adding to it won’t help anyone and 2) they don’t address that well just how key motivation is to learning something. If you don’t care about it, you won’t learn about it.”

I couldn’t have said it better.

3. Melissa says:

You’re on my list of favourite bloggers, too. ;) Though I have about 1 / 10,000th the audience of Krystal’s blog. I really like both of your blogs, but for different things.

Dan – I am self publishing the book with my own publishing company, but I hope to expand to other authors once I finish this project.

5. Jon_Snow says:

Can’t wait for the book – it was your blog afterall that set me upon the ER path… the idea had never even entered my mind until I stumbled upon this place.

I am wondering about hints in some of your recent blog postings that you are re-evalutaing some aspects of your “retire at 45″ plan… the “Life 2.0″ posting caught my attention in particular. Is this true? And will it be referenced in your book?

Jon_Snow,

Well I’m honoured that I set you down the ER path. I hope you have enjoyed the trip so far.

Ah, the Life 2.0 post. Yes I will admit I’ve had second, third and fourth thoughts about my plan to retire at 45. Some days I drift more to shifting to a semi-retirement plan, or just a career shift. To be honest I’m not sure where exactly I’m going to end up, but I will worry about that as I come up on these decisions. As of now either ER or semi-retirement are the same path so the differences are rather meaningless. It’s a debate that will likely go on in my mind for a while.

As to the book, I should provide some context. The book first off is not the blog. It won’t tell too much of my story or plans to retire at 45, but rather it is more like an manual of how to change your life from where you are now to where you want to be. While it doesn’t specifically reference the idea of Life 2.0, it does deal with both the money and happiness sides of retirement planning and I do provide some advice on how to deal with ‘work’ in retirement should you so choose that path. So all of elements of Life 2.0 are there, but it just isn’t spelled out in the same way.

Hope that helps,

7. Jon_Snow says:

Tim, the high quality of your response to my post is representative of the quality of your blog. Many thanks… I will continue to follow your journey as I travel my own toward ER (or Life 2.0).

8. I’m very late to the game on this one! Thanks for the mention Tim!