Saturday, March 25, 2017

Net Worth – Dec 2010

Posted by Tim Stobbs on December 29, 2010

2010 is almost over?!? Well that came a little quicker than I realized.  Here are my final numbers for the year.

Assets

High Interest Savings Account $3,600

Debt
Mortgage $83,500
HELOC $0

Net Worth $383,400 (+$13,400 or +3.6%) [+ 25.9% YTD ]
Investment Net Worth $126,900 (+$10,000 or +8.5%) [+ 28.6% YTD]
Mortgage is down by $37,700 or 87.7% of my goal for 2010.

You know what for failing to make my mortgage goal for the year I still managed to do over 85% of that goal which is fairly damn amazing when you consider I took a  20% pay cut from my largest source income for half the year.  So even in failure I still feel good about what we got done this year.

Also I have to say I’m blown away how much the investment and net worth have increased this year with both of them over 25%.  What I find particularly interesting is if you strip out the gains in the house value from the net worth that is still an increase of $65,900 or 21.6%.

What is really mind blowing is the long term net worth trend from back in 2006 when I started this blog.

• 2006 – $80,200
  • 2007- $215,000
  • 2008- $219,600
  • 2009- $304,500
  • 2010- $383,400

Hope you have a great New Year!

Any questions?

(Click to see larger version)

Comments

9 Responses to “Net Worth – Dec 2010”
  1. Goal Hunter says:

Where does the net worth growth come from? Impressive growth in investments if you deposited no money into them or took money out!

2. Dave says:

What gets measured, gets managed. Great work.

3. I definitely agree that actively watching and managing my money made a huge difference in my finances.

My net worth went up 68% this year from $55k – $185k. Will post soon :)

4. Congrats on the successful update! Wow, looking back over the past few years, you’ve seen tremendous growth in net worth. I’m hoping to be in a similar boat over the next couple years.

My net worth jumped about 92%… but its largely because I’m just starting out, and its much easier to move the number than when you already are established.

@Goal Hunter,

Actually growth is deposits and investment returns. I don’t separate the two for these posts. I might bother doing that in the future, but for now that isn’t a focus of mine as such I haven’t tracked it.

@Dave,

Too true.

@FB

Ooh, now you got my interest. I will await your post telling me how you did that.

@Twentysomethingmoney,

Yes I recall that as well. At the start % isn’t a good metric since your numbers are small. Give it time and it will even itself out.

My net worth (taxable and IRA investments only, not home value) increased about 8% in 2010. And I earned only $200 this year doing some odd jobs.

As twentysomething wrote, it is tougher to move the number when you are already established. It is also tough to move it when you using the dividends from my investments to cover my monthly expenses instead of reinvesting them while still working (I retired 2 years ago at age 45).

7. Dave says:

I was thinking more about this post last night. If you live in Regina/Saskatoon, isn’t a large part of your growth due to the value of home increase at a ridiculous rate in the past 3-4 years? I noticed your mortgage was quite low compared to the valuation of your home and you must’ve purchased before the real estate boom in Saskatchewan. Do you feel that this skews your net worth calculation unrealistically? What if we enter a housing bubble (inevitable if interest rates rise a bunch like they should)? Does your home really factor into your retirement plan?

Dave- Yes you are right some of the net worth growth is from my house value increase. Yet for my plan it doesn’t matter since all I need to do is pay off the mortgage on the house. After that is done I will only post my investment net worth.

9. Bryan says:

ever considered investing in real-estate or rental income?