Posted by Tim Stobbs on December 2, 2010
Tomorrow will mark a very unique event in my family’s life: we are going to do a large portion of our Christmas shopping in just one day. By the beginning of Dec we typically have most of our shopping done, but this year both my wife and I have been distracted by other things in November so we don’t have that much off our lists (in my case I’ve done no shopping at all yet). There are some other factors in this insane decision, but I don’t have enough words in this post to explain it all.
So how do you exactly do the majority of your shopping in just one day? Well we have never done this before but this is what our game plan includes:
- Have a List – Thanks to our usual Christmas budget spreadsheet we know exactly who we need to buy for and how much to spend.
- Have Ideas – My wife has already made several calls to people fishing for ideas for those hard to buy for people and wrote them down.
- Divide and Conquer – We are not even trying to take the boys out with us while we try this on Friday. Instead we are taking half day shifts. That way neither one of us gets too tired of shopping and we can also buy for our boys or each other while we are out.
- We avoid Perfect – We will not fall into the trap of thinking we need to get the perfect gift. For example, in one case we are giving foreign cash since a relative is heading out of the country shortly rather than second-guess ourselves on what he needs or wants.
- We will take Breaks – Holiday shopping can be stressful if you have lots of people out (we are trying to avoid people by shopping in the middle of the day this Friday). So we both are planning on taking a short breaks as needed during the day to relax and keep our focus. Also I’m going to look up a cocktail recipe with eggnog in order to have a celebration drink that evening (I’m assuming we will succeed).
Ok, all you last minute shoppers. I may have never agreed with why people do this year after year, but I am now before you looking for your expertise on the last minute shopping plan. Any ideas on what else to do would be greatly appreciated. For you well planned people, how do you get it done each year? Or does everyone have a bad year once in a while?