Posted by Tim Stobbs on March 11, 2010
Do you ever tend to beat yourself up over things you should do? Like:
- I should spend more time with the kids playing in the evening.
- I should write my blog posts the night before rather than the morning of.
- I should move money into my saving account more often than every two months.
- I should read more of that background material I got from my trustee job.
- I should get more done during my day job even if I’m feeling tried.
- I should write on my book more during the weekend…
And the list goes on and on. I feel guilty over all shorts of stupid things too like how dirty my house gets despite the fact I was barely home that week. So in the end I’ve decided something important. Feeling guilty has got none of these things done and it hasn’t made me any happier either so FUCK OFF GUILT! I’m done with feeling guilty.
I’m just one guy with a ton of things in my life and I just can’t do everything. I admit it. I can’t possible do everything that I want to do in life. Hell that’s why I’m planning on retiring early. I’m got enough stuff going on I can easily fill that extra 2000 hours a year that is my day job for those extra 20 years and still need another decade.
So in the mean time I’m going to stop feeling guilty and realize that I’m doing the best that I can. It’s not perfect but the kids still kiss me goodnight after we read stories, my wife still wants to go out on date nights and hasn’t filed for divorce, I still get the odd compliment from my boss at my day job and you the readers haven’t all stopped reading this blog at once. Obviously I’m not doing that bad of a job.
So rather than feeling guilty I’m just going to try to enjoy what I do. I won’t get everything done but I don’t need to. I’m going to let the little things slide and just do my best. Happiness is more important than guilt any day of the week.
So how often do you feel guilty? What do you do to stop?