Monday, April 24, 2017

Net Worth – Dec 2009

Posted by Tim Stobbs on December 31, 2009

I’m really having issues with it being the end of the year already.  It’s past so fast!  It’s certainly been an interesting one so far, so let’s check on my final net worth for 2009.

Assets

House $327,000
RRSP $23,400
LIRA $10,300
TFSA $7,700
Pension $15,100
Wife’s RRSP $12,100
Wife’s Investment Account $12,300
Wife’s TFSA $6,500
My Investment Account $5,800
High Interest Savings Account $5,500

Debt
Mortgage $121,200
HELOC $0

Therefore my net worth now stands at $304,500 for the end of Dec 2009. That is an increase of $23,100 or 8.2% from my last update.  Of that my investment net worth was $98,700 which was an increase of $11,300 or 13%.

On a year over year basis net worth is up 38.7% (or $84,900) , while investment net worth is up 101% (or $49,600) for 2009.  Umm…..(long pause)….well that went better than I thought possible!

Now obviously this net worth looks partly so good since last year at this time we were all collectively just had our investments crushed by the market drop in late 2008.  The other factoring helping it along this year was the fact I focused on my increasing my investments this year and it really paid off.  My investing net worth is now just short of the $100,000 mark and double what it was at this time last year.  On an overall basis that investment increase is 58% of my total net worth increase this year, while paying off the mortgage was another 19%.

Which brings me to my little New Year present to myself.  A quirk of how my benefits are applied to my pension at work means I’ll be getting a lump sum payment of $2300 on Jan 1, 2010 which I have NOT included in these numbers.  So as of tomorrow I’ll have broken the $100,000 mark.  Now that’s a good way to start a New Year.

So as impressive as this year was next year I’m shifting my focus to paying down the mortgage so I know next year I won’t have the same jump in my investment net worth.  Any questions?

(Graphs will be posted later as I’m having issues with my spreadsheet this morning)

Comments

21 Responses to “Net Worth – Dec 2009”
  1. Chris L. says:

Would your house be considered an average house? Is there a way to reduce your housing expenses by downsizing? While I do include housing in my net worth, I do understand that housing is more of a personal liability and a need that must be serviced if one is to be financially free. However, by lowering this expense one can achieve this much quicker and endure far less hardship on a market downturn of which seems very likely here in Canada.

2. chad says:

hello CD

did you ever hear of ally.ca

they offer really high rates compared to the banks

good job on the increase

my assest went up 12%
    with little risk in which my wife and I are happy with

3. Great job Tim!

I have yet to calculate my final numbers but I think our net worth went up about 30% in 2009.

Happy New Year!

4. jacqjolie says:

Good job!
    Rats! Your TFSA had higher returns than mine. :-(
    You didn’t invest yourself and your wife in the same investments?
    I’m not sure about the concentration on the mortgage this year, wouldn’t you have $10k that you’d want to put in your TFSA?
    And if your part-time income pushes you into another tax bracket in 2010, wouldn’t you want to max out your RRSP’s (even use up past contribution room)?
    Sorry, didn’t mean to make it sound like a quiz. :-)

5. jacqjolie says:

Chris, since his wife runs a dayhome, there’s probably an added incentive for a larger house.
    As an investment however, I can see prices for average/larger homes not increasing as much as smaller ones – those boomers are set to retire and many I know right now are downsizing. It will be interesting to see what happens with housing when we get the big bubble of boomers retiring in about 10-15 years.

6. chad says:

jacqjolie
    The housing will also be interesting when the gov’t imposes those new changes.Like having to put down 15% downpayment and the longest amortisation will be 25 years.This will have a big effect.I talked to one realator and he said “the housing markett will be in big trouble”

7. Caitlin says:

Congratulations!

This year my plan is to…. erm… calculate my net worth. :/

8. Hey Canadian Dream! We are on the same goal of retiring by 45. We should keep in touch and follow each other’s progress!

Best, Sam

Financial Samurai, I retired last year at age 45. I look forward to seeing a post by you claiming the same milestone. :)

10. Good stuff deegee! Hope I underpromise and overdeliver!

How is retired life at 46 btw? Any itch to get back to work?

Retired life is great. With the cold weather here in NY the last few weeks, I am so glad I don’t have to freeze my ass off waiting for late trains. Even though I liked my work at times, I didn’t like it so much in the last few years. I have absolutely NO desire to work again. My expanded volunteer work (I was working P/T before) and evening hobbies more than make up for it. :)

WOW. I know I asked for questions, but that’s quite a few. Anyways here we go.

@Chris L.

Yes I could downsize, but that would result in closing the daycare which is something my wife doesn’t want to do. So good point, but I’m not worried about the housing market dropping as I bought prior to the bubble really taking off and I’m not using my equity in my retirement plan (other than a backup in old age).

@Moneygardener,

Good year for you too! I saw FT was up a similar amount to your 30%.

@jacqjolie,

My wife and I are in different investments since most of our TFSA’s were just sell and transfer amounts from our existing taxable accounts. So hence the difference.

We may use the TFSA room to again shift over more taxable amounts, but this time it would likely only be the high interest savings accounts. So given the low return I’m considering sitting on the contribution room for a few years. The mortgage payout is mainly because I want that debt gone, not because it’s the best return.

I’ll be doing some extra contributions to the RRSP’s to offset the extra tax on income in 2010. But not much, perhaps $5000 or so, just enough to move tax brackets.

@ FS,

I look forward to a post from you as well when you turn 45.

@ deegee,

Thanks for sharing a bit of your story. Sounds like an interesting life, would you be interested in a interview/guest post?

Tim, I wrote you using your contact form. I would be interested in a guest post.

14. Pauline says:

Dear sir
    could you pl tell us what stocks you invested in your Tfsa?

Pauline,

Sure. I’ve mentioned it before, but they are: AQN, EIT.UN, REI.UN.

16. Thanks for taking this opportunity to talk about “Canadian Dream: Free at 45 » Blog Archives » Net Worth – Dec 2009″, I benefit from learning about this subject. If possible, as you gain data, please update this blog with new information. Thanks, Hier

17. I have been reading a lot on here the topic Canadian Dream: Free at 45 » Blog Archives » Net Worth – Dec 2009 inspired me, i have picked up some great ideas. Thanks and i hope to see more soon.

18. Katy Hotel says:

Thanks for the information, i posted your blog to my facebook group in the category `Canadian Dream: Free at 45 » Blog Archives » Net Worth – Dec 2009`. Regards, Katy

19. Gedicht says:

Hello from Germany! May i quote a post a translated part of your blog with a link to you? I’ve tried to contact you for the topic Canadian Dream: Free at 45 » Blog Archives » Net Worth – Dec 2009, but i got no answer, please reply when you have a moment, thanks, Gedicht