Now depending on your family and friends you might not want to actually tell anyone you are early retired for the first few years to avoid the obvious issue that people will think you are rich. So in the nature of some fun, here are my top five cover stories for early retirees.
- Man or Woman of Mystery. When ever anyone asks you about what you do for a living just reply “It’s classified.” It will drive people nuts trying to guess it and you can just fail to mention it’s classified by you.
- Starving Artist. Here you take one of your hobbies and turn it into your day job. You can even play up the whole bit of not making much money at it, but you are much happier angle. Good categories for this is actor/actress, painter, writer, graphic design…you get the idea.
- Consultant. Now here you can make up any sub category you like depending on your interests such as image consultant (I don’t dress like a slob even when I don’t have to), management consultant (I manage my to keep my spouse happy) or travel consultant (I travel so cheap it would make your head spin). Just make sure people you talk to know you are far to busy to take on new clients. You may need business cards to complete this cover story.
- Conservation Professional. You are very skilled at doing nothing or at the very least spending no where near the same amount as everyone else in the room.
- Private Wealth Management. This is by far my favourite cover story, because it’s true. You just manage your own wealth and that is why you are retired. Again be careful to avoid taking on ‘new’ clients. If you really want to feel exclusive don’t even bother carrying business cards to complete the story. People will naturally assume they need millions before they could become a ‘client.’
So what’s your favorite cover story? If you have got another idea please share with a comment.