Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Jumping Ships

Posted by Tim Stobbs on November 6, 2008

Well after yesterday, I have to say that was a fun game to play.  I haven’t even thought of some of those answers and by the way my wife and I laughed very hard at the Personal Finance for Toddlers book comment.  Mmm, perhaps that’s a business idea.  I’ll finish my first book idea and then write a children’s book.

Now onto the news.  I’m getting a new job.  I signed the formal offer yesterday. Yes, I’m following my own advice about finding a better ship to jump to.  I’m leaving consulting industry and going to work for a crown corporation.  Basically in terms of a stable employer you can’t get any better.  I’m aware in some regards I’m trading one set of problems for another.  I’m moving for variable work loads to dealing with political interference on how the company is run.

So the obvious question on the personal finance blog is: so what’s the raise?  The base raise is 6%, hardly anything to get too excited over.  The real prize on this new job is the benefits.  I’m getting way more time off and way more money contributed to my pension from the company.  In total the benefits are approximately an increase of at least 14% in pay.  So in grand total I’m jumping ships for an increase of over 20% in pay and benefits.

So that is why I was so excited I wanted to jump out of my skin.  You see when I moved down to Regina from my last job I took a pay cut of over $20,000/yr to be closer to family.  It was a choice I made and accepted.  I also expected it would take me about ten years to recover that lose of income.  Now 2.5 years later with this new job I’ve manged to bridge that gap (granted I’m more heavy on the benefits rather than salary this time, but when they give you seven weeks of time off each year it’s an exchange I’m willing to take).

Comments

13 Responses to “Jumping Ships”
  1. guinness416 says:

Hey congratulations, Tim! I just told my boss I want more time off rather than a raise this year. Your seven weeks is priceless.

2. Steve says:

I said for years I would decline raises or reduce my salary for more time off, and when I finally made the switch to do it it was a fantastic move. I never regretted it for a second. Congrats!

3. Mintycake says:

Congrats! I’d rather take time for money…too bad they don’t go for that where I work. :( any advice on how to get them to see the value?

4. littlemoneylab says:

Wow, 7 weeks, this is insane!!
    Congrats!!

5. Jordan Clark says:

Congrats,

Hey can you share a bit more about your job, I recall it was in engineering, but what exactly do you do?

6. Jerry Hung says:

I agree, 7 weeks is insane, even University doesn’t get that many weeks off

Congrats though, but it was an easy guess :)
    Mainly because I have heard of many transfers recently so I am somewhat not surprised

7. Rosie says:

Wow! I’m heading off to find the nearest crown corp to work for! Congratulations, and I hope the work is just as interesting.

8. Four Pillars says:

Congrats! 7 weeks…wow!

Thanks everyone!

Mintycake – It’s hard to get more time off anywhere, but I would suggest to anyone with a job offer in hand to ask about it. It’s amazing the number of people that will grant it before you take the job.

Jerry,

Actually the seven weeks is kinda weird. It’s four weeks vacation, 13 ‘earned days off’, 3 family days and I know get Easter Monday as a stat holiday.

Jordan,

The new job is a bit different than the current one, but a similar theme. I’m an emissions planning engineer. So my job is to figure out a plan to deal with all the new emissions regulations coming into effect in the next few years on CO2, SOx, NOx, and particulate. It should be a interesting job.

10. Congratulations Tim – that’s quite exciting! Might want to change the name to “Canadian Dream: Free at 43″ or something… :)

11. Sods says:

Congrats! 7 weeks off, you could get a summer Job :) but seriously, cant go wrong with the Government.

12. mcmatterson says:

Congratulations! As above commenters have noted, 7 weeks off is probably worth as much as the 20% increase.