Friday, October 24, 2014

The Ultimate Cheap Eating Hack

Posted by Tim Stobbs on August 13, 2008

Well with a title like that you might be expecting this post to have some deep profound secret of cooking wild grains found in ditches or harvesting fruit from public trees, but alas the hack is very simple: start cooking with dried beans and lentils.

Yes, I know you think that beans are boring but cooking with dried beans and lentils are the ultimate food bill hack. For example, a cup of dried chickpeas cost me $0.64 from the bulk bins which I can feed my entire family with for a meal with that amount and easily have leftovers a lunch. Even adding various other veggies and other ingredient costs I can still easily make an entire supper for my family of four (two adults and two small kids) for $2 to $3.

Now lets compare that to some other meats costs from the same store. Ground beef costs $1.78/lb which 1 lb can be used to create a meal which is almost 2.8 times the cost of the chickpeas . Boneless skinless chicken breast cost $2.88/lb which typically takes at least 3 lbs to make a meal so that would be $8.64 or 13.5 times the cost of the chickpeas. Even using chicken thighs still costs $2.28 per pound and assuming you cut back to 2 lb for the meal you are still 7.1 times the cost of the chickpeas. I assume by now you’ve got the idea that beans and lentils are a very cheap source of protein for a diet, hell even a can of tuna is at $0.78 is still almost 1.2 times the cost of the chickpeas.

So now that I’m drilled it into your heads how much cheaper eating beans and lentils can be than meat. Let’s look at the costs savings to a family’s food bill. Let’s replace one meal a week with beans and lentils instead of meat. So that would mean you could take down a $15 meal with chicken breasts down to $3 or a savings of $48/month. Now if you did it twice a week that would mean an annual savings of $1200 which could then pay for your hotel room for about 10 days while you are on your next vacation (obviously highly dependent on where you stay, but you get the idea).

Hopefully now I’m got you convinced to give them a try, so now here is the catch. Cooking with dried beans and lentils takes planning. You have to soak them overnight in water, drain the water and then cook them before you can eat them. I know that sounds like work, but if you use a slow cooker for the cooking you literally can almost prepare your beans in your sleep.

So with the idea of cooking in your sleep, here is my super easy guide to cooking beans and lentils:

1. Before going to bed measure out 1 cup of beans into a medium bowl. Fill with water until within 1 inch of the top of the bowl (most beans expand a LOT when you soak them, for example chickpeas expand by about 2.5 times).
  2. Get up the next morning and drain off the liquid with the beans. Then place the beans in about 3 or 4 cups of chicken stock and some salt if you are planning on a soup, if not you could just use some fresh water and salt. Put on low and go to work.
  3. When you come home you will have a base for a bean soup if you used stock. You could add some veggies and other spices and heat it up for an hour to finish your meal. Or if you used water you can drain the liquid and use the beans in pasta sauce, wraps, dips, stir fries, or just about anything else you can think of. Just do a Google search for ‘recipe’ and ‘your bean/lentil of choice’.

Obviously the trick of using dried beans and lentils is a little bit of planning, but as you can see it doesn’t have to be time consuming to use them.

PS: You might wonder why I considered dried beans/lentils the top pick over free fruit and veggies. Simple, for most people’s diets protein is the most expensive part. Hence the dollar saving are more significant over the course of a year. If you have a better idea let me know.

Comments

12 Responses to “The Ultimate Cheap Eating Hack”
  1. Melissa A. says:

I love chickpeas and lentils! I’ve started making fried rice a lot, which is a good way to use up veggies, and you could always add some beans too. Hummus is a great snack.

I only eat fish, but I do buy canned sometimes. A good way to add protein that is cheap.

2. The concept of living within your means is one reason people should eat more dried beans and lentils, plus these foods are good for you.

3. Traciatim says:

Another one that we like to use in my family is TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein). We usually mix it 50/50 with lean ground beef in any hamburgers, pasta sauces, tacos, etc. It’s cheap, full of protein and fiber, and low in fat. Though I find it tastes a little different than beef, if you mix it 50/50 I find it will absorb the ‘beefy’ flavour and barely anyone we have over even notices the difference.

4. Christine says:

I think a better cheap-eating hack would simply read “Eat vegetarian”. Tofu, spinach and nuts are all other reasonable sources of protein that are much more cost-effective than meat.

It wasn’t too long ago that meat wasn’t eaten daily in North America and was considered a luxury, not a necessary staple of a balanced meal. Going veg, even if it’s just once a week, is great for the pocketbook and the environment – not to mention your health.

5. guinness416 says:

My husband loves lentils (served Indian dal style though) but I just have a ridiculous mental block about touching them; all those years of growing up with a hippie vegetarian mother have scarred me …. the phrase “aduki beans” sends me into a headspin.

6. Nj says:

Cooking these type of meals is healthier as well- I forgot about the cheap factor: you are totally right. <u mom used to make dhal at least 1-2x per week. She made this one called kalia ukka’- translates to “black eyes” in punjabi. Not only was the name scary, but the taste wasn’t too good either…for me anyways…..

7. Mary says:

When you cook beans in a crock pot/slow cooker, you don’t need to presoak them. I mix a bunch of kinds — black beans, pinto beans, those little white ones, even garbanzos and soy beans — and add 4 cups water for every cup of beans, then leave them on low overnight. Do add salt while they’re cooking — and you can also add things like thyme or bay leaves or powdered garlic to boost the flavour. DO NOT add sugar, or anything with sugar in it, until after the beans are cooked — it toughens them.

8. @Mary – you sure about the not needing to presoak. I thought cooking them destroyed some kind of semitoxic protein and that the water had to be discarded as a result?

9. Dale says:

Lentils (whole and split) and split peas need no presoaking and cook in the same time as rice (split lentils take about 20 minutes like white rice, split peas and whole lentils take about 45 minutes like brown rice). I’ve read all beans should be brought to a boil and kidney beans especially need 10 minutes boiling to get rid of the toxins. I think the only reason to discard the soaking water is to try to get rid of the flatulent factor (which has been lately proved not to work).The Tightwad’s recipe for lentil-rice casserole is fabulous (I cook it for less than an hour and sometime add cheese on top).