Posted by Tim Stobbs on April 23, 2008
Well in the last while this idea has come up twice in my life. First over at Get Rich Slowly and the second time at a seminar I attended last week. So I thought it might be fun to forget about ways I save money and focus on where I splurge my money. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Home Improvement – Alright I will admit I like living in a nice looking environment. I can do it slowly in stages which makes it somewhat affordable, but in the end I will spend several thousands of dollars in each house I live in making it beautiful and I don’t regret a penny of it.
- Home Location – I could have easily saved $20,000 or more by buying a different house, but we picked this one because we love the location. I’m 100 m from a huge park system, three blocks from a mall and tons of big box stores and 500 m from three different elementary schools. Even if I won a new house I won’t move from here.
- DVD’s – Ok, I’m a cheap person when it comes to renting them (I get all of mine from the library or friends), yet if I really want a given movie on DVD I will buy it the day it comes out.
- Coffee – I hate crappy coffee and don’t mind the least paying a bit more to get a decant cup when I’m out somewhere.
- Rollar Blades – After destroying a cheap pair in under two months one summer (I literally cracked a wheel in half) I’ve never mind in the least spending a couple of hundred dollars on a decant set. Actually if I consider amount of use for dollar paid I’m likely saving money now as my current set has lasted much longer than any previous ones.
So what do you splurge on?