Posted by Tim Stobbs on November 12, 2007
After my public declaration I went to work and got started on trying to overhaul my file system. I decided to model the system after the one mentioned in Smart Couples Finish Rich by David Bach. The reason I like his system is it covers the basics without being overly complicated. I also discussed the idea with my wife and she agrees we need to do something. She even provided an additional idea of colour coding the file tabs so we can see each section easily.
So here is the break down of the new system, by section. Each section may have more than a couple of folders as need be.
- Tax Returns
- Canada Pension Plan/Old Age Security Information
- Retirement Savings Accounts
- Taxable Investment Accounts
- Chequing & Saving Accounts
- Credit Card and Line of Credit Accounts
- House Bills – Water, Power, Natural Gas, Phone, Mortgage
- Insurance – Life, House and other
- Wills & Other Important Documents
- Kid’s Files – RESP and medical
- Career Related – Pay stubs, association memberships
- Writing Files – This Blog and other projects
- Daycare Files
- The Archive – Non active use files
If you see something I’ve missed or you like in your own system, please leave a comment and share.