Posted by Tim Stobbs on November 5, 2007
Frugal Trader over at Million Dollar Journey tagged me about declaring a public goal. Since this a good meme I’ve decided to play along.
For my public declaration I’m going to deal with something that has been a torn in my side for the last decade or so: my file system. You see the system sort of works. I can find things, but I tend to avoid filing things because I don’t have a good system developed on how to deal with the paper that enters my house. The end result is I have stacks of paper everywhere and I’ve actually lost a few items over the years because of it.
I’ve avoided this for a while, but here we go. For my public declaration I’m going to gut my file system and build a better one (including habits) to make my life cleaner and easier to find things. I will finish this goal no later than 1 month from today (so December 5, 2007).
My goal will consist of the following tasks:
- Research a new system that will work better and then decide how I will build my new system by Nov 12, 2007.
- Clean out my old files and ensure I actually need to keep those documents in the first place.
- Reduce incoming paperwork by signing up for electronic bills where possible.
- Discuss all of this with my wife so the entire project doesn’t fail.
- Have new file system in place by Nov. 26, 2007 so that I can trail it for a week and report back to all of you on Dec. 5, 2007.
In order to make sure I keep to task I’m going to do a weekly update on this until I complete my goal. Now comes that part that people fear, who will I tag with this meme. Relax I’m not going to tag anyone specific here, but I will leave it an open invite to anyone else that wants to share a public goal. If you don’t have a blog feel free to use the comments on my goal posts to update everyone on one of your goals. I love to hear from anyone about any goal you might have.