Monday, March 27, 2017

Counting Down Two Weeks

Posted by Tim Stobbs on October 26, 2007

I look at the calender last night and was a bit shocked to find I’m just two weeks away from this blog being a year old. Has it really been this long already? You mean some one actually reads this crap some days (and yes I do think some of my posts are crap, come on be honest now you think some of them have been crap as well)?

Yet some days there are some good things that come out of all this writing. I’ve learned far more than I thought possible about investing and I keep coming back to the same conclusion regardless how I look at the numbers. My dream of retiring at 45 seems possible. Lots of hard work? Yes. Pain in the ass some days? Oh, sure. Yet still possible, which is almost surreal. I knew when I started this blog my dream to retire at 45 was just that. A dream. I hoped I could do it, but as I’m going along I’m starting to realize it really is possible and for some reason that scares the hell out of me.

Why? Somewhere deep inside I have to admit I have my doubts. Will I like retirement? What will my family say? What will my kids think? Will my wife like it or hate it? Should I save more and push off retirement a few years? Can I survive a stock market crash? Am I too risky? Am I too conservative? Those and thousand others echo in my mind some days.

Yet I do get some encouragement from you. Each reader and comment helps poke holes in my ideas and makes me examine things I didn’t think of. In some small way, each of you are helping me get there. So I’ve been thinking I would like to give you all something back. The problem is I don’t know what to give you unless you tell me.

So this brings me to the point of this post (and you thought all that rambling above wasn’t going anyway *grin*). What would you like from me for this blog’s birthday on Nov 9? Would you like a retirement calculation spreadsheet or perhaps a personal finance tip page? Or do you have a question or topic you would love to hear my thoughts on? It’s really your choice. There is no such thing as a stupid question or request. If you are too shy to ask in the comments send me an email.

Have a good weekend.

Comments

7 Responses to “Counting Down Two Weeks”
  1. FourPillars says:

It wouldn’t be a blog if it didn’t have some crap from time to time.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the retirement – at that age you have lots of time for modications ie working part time, going back to work, starting a business etc etc etc.

Mike

2. Warren says:

Can I ask how old you are? Only to see how far away 45 is for you. I’m 30 and very interested in early retirement. 40 would be an ideal age, but I think starting a family will be a (worthwhile) expense that will push that age to 45.

Warren,

I’m just slightly younger than you. I don’t turn thirty until next year.

If you are having a family I would suggest going for 45. If you end up getting there earlier, so be it, but it is nice to start off with a reasonable goal.

4. Stefan says:

I would love to have your “give” us a spreadsheet that would help project how much money we’ll have for/in retirement. What I mean is, I’m always searching for calculators online and tools that will show you if you invest X per month at Y % you’ll have Z in 25 years, but there are so many variations on these calculators, its hard to sometimes find a very customizable one and something that would produce some sort of chart, (i like seeing charts:)… anyway, so maybe like a super-duper excel retierment spreadsheet.

5. Warren says:

Thanks Tim. Since I’ve been focusing on this type of early retirement, but within reasonable means, I think I’ve made real progress and its amazing to think that its possible. Who are these chumps working until 65? :)

Hope you’re feeling better!

Stefan,

I’ll try to provide you something. I might need a bit of a hand from everyone to improve it as we go, but I’ll take the first go at creating a spreadsheet.

Warren,

Well most chumps that are working until 65 are currently so in debt that savings seems a bit like a joke right now. At least that appears to be what I’ve seen.

Take care,

7. Cindy says:

Hello CD,
    I’m new to the whole financial world/blogs & books and I have read your whole archives until now and I would really like to see a retirement calculation spreadsheet.
    I’m 33 and my husband is 30 and we plan on me retiring when I turn 50… we already have a few dollars in the bank and both have excellent jobs so it’s doable…
    I’ve enjoyed all of your blogs – congrats on your upcoming family addition. Cindy