Posted by Tim Stobbs on August 24, 2007
Well today’s post will be fairly off our usual PF theme again. Today I wanted to start an open debate on an idea I’ve had. Do I really need to blog anonymously or is there a time to step away from the mask? In the PF blog world we have both sides: some with masks and others without.
The reason this was in my head lately was I was interviewed a while back under my real name and the story was published. Yet since I don’t use my name on this blog I didn’t even mention it until now. I’ve been very careful to keep my two versions of me separate. Despite my best efforts there have been leaks between the two. For example, I know of at least half a dozen bloggers that know my first name and at least one that knows my full name.
In order to help me decide I’ve got a few pro and con items I would appreciate your help with.
- More simple – Less confusion for me to keep straight which version of me someone has emailed.
- Easier for business transactions – If someone wants to advertise on the site, it makes payment a little more straight forward.
- In longer terms, if I write a book, I’ve already established my writing under my own name.
- All my information will become a little less detailed to prevent ID theft
- Exposing my name could result in friends and/or family being upset if they realize they were a part of a given post
- Personal attacks become more personal. Right now it helps to have another layer between me and an attack, without my other side it will become a bit more direct.
I’m not planning a decision right away, but I do appreciate other people’s thoughts and ideas on this one.